Have you ever read a lifestyle blog/website that was so deeply philosophical you felt like you we’re going to drown? I do. All.the.time. It drives me up the wall. I want to shake the author & yell at him/her to just be practical. It’s great to be profound, to say things people can meditate on, & to inspire people to “live their best lives”; it’s just annoying to use every flashy word you know to convince someone you really know what you are talking about, especially if it seems like you have the secret to happiness and are hiding it in obtuse metaphors.
If you are unfamiliar with my blogs, let me assure you, I’m not “that guy.” I have been a teacher in one capacity or another for most of my life. My gift is clarity. I once used cans of beer to help my uncle pass algebra 1. I was a substitute elementary teacher. I taught Sunday School. Making things plain is kind of what I do.
However, I am told I have a tendency to use a big word or two. I do have a degree in English. Grammatical errors and “made up words” like YOLO irritate me. Then again, I use the word “so” and the phrase “the fact of the matter is” more times than the law allows and I rarely proofread. In short, I am a walking contradiction.
I am a person who loves to smile and laugh. I have been known to be funny every once in a while. I can be a big kid, waking people up in the morning, or a deadly serious adult, forever obsessed with being on time. You just never know what you’re going to get with me.
So I thought I would share the few parameters I do have for this blog. It will help me help you figure out what on Earth you’re getting yourself into.
1. This is a Christian lifestyle blog. References to God, scripture, Jesus, faith, sin, forgiveness, the Holy Spirit, & more will be made frequently. Some people are looking for a more…or less “spiritual” outlook. This isn’t the place.
2. I love entertainment. You will hear me speak of it often.
3. I don’t love exercising. You will hear me speak of it often.
4. I love to hear other people’s opinions, so don’t be scared to comment!
5. I am writing my first book. You will hear about it occasionally…and by “occasionally,” I mean all the time. I can’t help it. If all goes well, it will be the first in a series.
6. I can’t swim. Perhaps this explains my aversion to deep armchair philosophers and pseudo life coaches?